- Chalk (recipe below)
- 3 Bottle caps or jar lids
- Sidewalk or paved driveway
- Using the chalk, draw a 3-foot by 3-foot square on the sidewalk or paved driveway.
- Create a 3 x 3 grid by drawing lines going down and lines going across at the one-foot and two-foot marks.
- Write a number 1 through 9, in each of the grid squares
- One number per grid square
- In any order
- No repeats
The object of the game is to get the highest score possible.
- Place the lid/cap on the ground outside of the grid.
- Using your thumb and a finger flick the lid.
- One attempt per lid/cap. There are no ‘do overs’ if the lid rolls or lands outside of the grid.
- What if the lid lands on a line? No points.
- Note: Feel free to change any of the rules. After all, it is your game.
Need more of a challenge?
- Create a grid with more squares.
- Create a grid with smaller dimensions.
- Use two-digit numbers.
- Use more lids/caps.
- Add a rule that the lids/caps MUST land in a straight line (horizontal, vertical, and/or diagonal).
Want to play the game indoors?
- Table Top Version
- Draw the grid on paper and tape it down using painters’ tape
- Floor Version
- Use painters’ tape to create the grid on the floor.
Recipe for Sidewalk Chalk (Originally shared May, 2015)
- Toilet paper tube
- Small square waxed paper
- Rubber band
- Disposable large plastic cup
- Wooden craft stick
- Plaster of Paris
- Corn starch
- Tempera paint
- Secure a double thick piece of waxed paper at the end of a toilet paper tube with the rubber band.
- In the disposable large plastic cup mix ½ cup plaster of Paris and ¼ cup corn starch. Slowly add ¼ to ½ cup water while stirring with the craft stick. Add tempera paint until the desired color is achieved.
- Spoon mixture into prepared toilet paper tube. Set the tube upright (waxed paper side down) in an open container while the mixture cures or hardens. Once it is dry peel off the paper tube. It is now ready to use!
IMPORTANT NOT: Do NOT rinse cup in the sink!! Dispose of the cup with the remaining mixture in it. This stuff will clog sink!