Celebrate National Go Skateboarding Day – June 21
Go Go Skateboard!
Source: ©2015. Joyce Hemphill, Laura Scheinholtz, and Heather Von Bank and adapted from The Power of Playful Learning.
- Cereal box
- One plastic drinking straw
- One round bamboo skewer (12 inches x 3 mm)
- 4 soft plastic caps from milk jugs
- Photo or Character from a greeting card (optional)
- Large eraser or hand towel (folded)
- Tape or glue
- Crayons, markers, stickers, etc. (optional)
- Create the skateboard deck using the plain side of the cereal box by drawing an elongated oval. (Approximately 5-6 inches long and 2-2½ inches wide.) Cut out the deck and decorate it.
- Note: It is your skateboard so you can make any shape you want.
- Cut a drinking straw into two 2-inch pieces. On the underside of the deck tape these pieces; one up towards the front and the other towards the back. (These will hold the skewer axles.) Set aside.
Axles & Wheels:
- Prepare all four wheels by poking holes in each of the four plastic caps. To do this, place the eraser or multi-folded hand towel on a flat surface. Place the plastic cap with open side down on the eraser/towel. Identify the exact center of the cap. Place the point of the skewer at the center and firmly press down until the skewer pierces through the cap and goes into the eraser/cloth. Run the skewer completely through each cap.
Adding the axles & wheels to the deck
- Press one cap on the blunt end of the skewer. Slide the skewer through one of the straw bits. Slide a second cap onto the skewer and slide it into position. (This should be on the other side of the skateboard deck.) SNAP the skewer close to the second wheel. Repeat process for the other axle and wheels.
- Be sure to adjust the wheels to make sure they do not rub against the deck.
Adding the skater
- To add the skateer, cut around the character making sure to leave a ¼”- ½” tab at the bottom. Make a 90o fold in the tab and secure onto the skateboard using glue or tape.
Create a ramp using boards, books, or boxes. See how far you can get your skateboard to go. Challenge friends and family!