The Global Recess Alliance (GRA) is a newly-formed international collective of health and educational leaders that has provided evidence to suggest a quality recess is an essential component of an educational approach that considers the whole child. Given this, the GRA is urging school administrators to consider recess a critical priority as schools begin to reopen.
As schools reopen, a supportive school recess can guide both students and teachers back from months of interrupted routines, boredom, loneliness, family stress, anxiety and often a lack of physically active and social play.
As part of the 2020 Online Conference on the Value of Play, some of the founding members of the Global Recess Alliance (detailed below) shared practices and policies to ensure that recess provides a setting where inclusive, meaningful safe play occurs.
“Schools Re-Opening? Why It Will Be More Important Than Ever to Create A Play-Full Recess”
- Catherine Ramstetter, Ph.D., from Successful Healthy Children, Cincinnati, OH, and lead author of American Academy of Pediatrics’ Policy on Recess
- William V. Massey, Ph.D., from Oregon State University and lead researcher on the Great Recess Framework
- Debbie Rhea, Ph.D., Professor and The LiiNK Project Director, Texas Christian University and author of Wrong Turns, Right Moves in Education
- Olga Jarrett, Ph.D., Professor Emerita, Georgia State University and author of A research-based case for recess: Position paper (2019)
- Brendon Hyndman, Ph.D., Charles Sturt University, Australia, and author of Contemporary School Playground Strategies for Healthy Students
- Anna Beresin, Ph.D., University of the Arts, Philadelphia, PA, and author of Recess Battles: Playing, Fighting, and Storytelling
Watch the full video of the panel presentation:
“Schools Re-Opening? Why it Will be More Important Than Ever to Create a Play-Full Recess”
Want to see more great online professional development content like this?!
Join the 2020 Online Conference on the Value of Play through July 31.
The Conference on the VALUE of Play
The Play Conference, as it is commonly known, is an annual educational conference presented by the US Play Coalition. The latest research and practices in the field of play are presented at the conference, which brings together play researchers, park and recreation professionals, educators, health scientists, architects, landscape architects, designers, planners, business and community leaders, psychologists, physicians and parents from across the U.S. and beyond. The three day event has been moved ONLINE for 2020 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is our first-ever online Play Conference! Learn more at usplaycoalition.org/playconference2020