National Kazoo Day 2017 is Saturday, January 28. This month’s “Playing from Scratch” is celebrating 165 years of kazoo playing in America with a guide to making a DIY kazoo!
Source: ©2015. Joyce Hemphill, Laura Scheinholtz, and Heather Von Bank and adapted from The Power of Playful Learning.
- 1 paper tube, 4 to 6 inches in length
- Wax paper, 4-inch x 4-inch square
- Rubber band
- Hole punch
- With the hole punch, begin by making a hole in one end of the toilet paper tube, approximately 2 inches from the end.
- Place the 4-inch square of wax paper on top of one opening at the end of the paper tube. Making sure the wax paper is pulled taught, wrap the excess down along the length of the tube with one had. Secure the wax paper in place with the rubber band, doubling band if it is too loose. The tube should now be closed off on one end.
- Make sure the wax paper is completely sealed with the rubber band.
Place the open end of the kazoo to the mouth and hum into it.