Our founder Fran Mainella is one of America’s leading play advocates. Recognizing a “play deprivation crisis” in our country, Fran convened a group of influential researchers and practitioners to establish the US Play Coalition in 1999. For the last decade, Fran has been a change leader for our organization’s work as well as for the world of play.
At our 10th Anniversary Play Conference, Fran officially retired from active daily involvement with the Coalition, taking up the mantle of Chair Emeritus. We honored her vision, leadership and playful spirit that founded and guided our organization in its first decade…and want to continue to honor Fran!
At the 2020 Conference on the Value of Play: PLAY FOR ALL, the US Play Coalition will present the inaugural Fran P. Mainella Play Conference Scholarship, to be awarded annually for new professionals, young professionals, and new-to-play professionals that could not otherwise attend the conference.
Recipients of the Fran P. Mainella Play Conference Scholarship will have their 2020 Play Conference registration fees waived (or refunded if already paid).
Eligible recipients include:
- New professionals (less than 5 years)
- Young professionals (under 30)
- New-to-play professionals (less than 5 years involved with play-related initiatives in their job)
To be eligible for a scholarship, an applicant must:
- Be a member of the US Play Coalition at time of application. Membership is free, and simply requires a declaration of shared commitment to the value of play. Click here to become a member if you are not already.
- Submit a completed application online (see below). Applications are due by 8:00am EST on February 24, 2020.
- Provide a letter of recommendation (part of the online application).
- Winners will be announced by March 5, 2020.
The 2020 application process has closed. Please consider applying for a 2021 Scholarship later this year.