#WePlayChat 2017 is in the books! #WePlayChat is our monthly Twitter chat. It is a FREE professional development opportunity for anyone seeking to gain knowledge around the wide open field of play. #WePlayChat also serves as a platform to engage and network with other organizations and individuals through social media. There was great discussion throughout the year – each month with a different play themed topic and chat moderators who used their unique experience and expertise to facilitate the dialogue. #WePlayChat-ers to date include teachers, playground organizations, play and recess advocates and other play enthusiasts from coast to coast as well as from across the globe – all tuning in to connect around PLAY. Our 2017 #WePlayChat participants came from 8 countries, spanning 5 continents. As the year draws to a close, we wanted to take a moment to share…
The top tweets of #WePlayChat 2017!
Our themes for 2017 were broad and our moderators were impressive:
- January 2017 – “Play Based Experiential Learning” with guest co-moderator Amowi Phillips, social innovator and concept team leader of the Mmofra Foundation, part of Playtime in Africa, a children’s park and natural learning project in Accra, Ghana which is the only one of its kind in the country.
- February 2017 – “The Joys of Unstructured Play” with guest co-moderator Rae Pica, education consultant and author
- March 2017 – “Play to Support Growth & Well Being” with guest co-moderator Kimberly Hart of AAAStateofPlay.com
- April 2017 – “Lessons Learned at the 2017 Conference on the Value of Play” with US Play Coalition Exec Director Stephanie Garst and Play Ambassador Coordinator Ryan Fahey
- May 2017 – “The Importance of Play” with guest co-moderator Genius of Play
- June 2017 – “Inclusive Play” with guest co-moderator US Paralympian Jill Moore
- July 2017 – “The Role of the Adult for Children’s Play” with guest co-moderator Leung of DANCEPL3Y and Vivo for Healthier Generations (Alberta, Canada)
- August 2017 – “How Communities Can Promote Play” with guest co-moderator Carly Demanett of the Eugene Civic Alliance (Eugene, OR)
- September 2017 – “Creating a Healthier Life by Participating in Play” with guest co-moderator Darryl Edwards; Creator of the Primal Play Method™ (London, England)
- October 2017 – “Play and Millennials” with co-moderator Dr. Heather Von Bank from Minnesota State University-Mankato
- November 2017 – “Making Fitness a Playful Pursuit in Education” with co-moderator Dale Sidebottom, owner of Energetic Education (Melbourne, Australia)
- December 2017 – “Inclusive Play” with co-moderator Brandi Heather, Adapted Physical Activity and Play Development Specialist (Alberta, Canada)
Thank you to all of those individuals, partners, sponsors and organizations who have been a critical part of our #WePlayChat learning opportunities this past year. This chat currently serves as the largest monthly play based twitter chat in world thanks to all of your engagement and support.
We are excited to continue the conversation in 2018 and beyond. Join us in the new year for #WePlayChat! Find us on Twitter @USPlayCoalition.